Monday, 18 February 2013
Requests from the Computer Illiterati: Volume 1
1. Can you email me some 10-minute high-quality video clips please? ... What's WinZip?
2. I can’t get onto Google. Please help.
3. My account has changed my password without my permission; can you reset it please? I'm getting really annoyed with this.
4. I used Google to get on the internet, but now I can’t find Chrome.
5. Can you call IT helpdesk for me, and if I leave my account password can you login to my computer and help them fix it please? I’m leaving early today to catch a train to my second home for the weekend. I won't be contactable.
6. I’ve logged onto another computer and my desktop shortcuts have gone- can you come and recreate them all for me?
7. You know that 2-page newsletter you do? I need to put 12 pages of text into it.
8. I want the whole-team template to auto-insert my name each time. It's a matter of extreme urgency.
9. Why can’t the form just auto-tick the boxes I want ticked on my behalf?
10. Why can’t we just go back to using paper files? It was simpler then (*murmurs of agreement round the table*).
11. So what I don’t understand is that we’ve got all these things, like Google and website and ‘browsers’ and the cloud and I have to remember all these different logins!
12. I've been using autocomplete in MS Outlook emails for 10 years. Now we're moving and we can only export our contacts. What can you do to fix this?
13. I deleted a folder off the hard drive, and I need someone to ask IT to bring them back somehow. You’re good with computers. Can you call them for me?
14. I printed some forms out and wrote on them, but I've lost the file. Can you tipex my handwriting out and re-scan please? If you can, there's a box here with about 200 other one's in it...
15. I don't care how big the web pages are, I need this document on the front page of the website!